Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The presidential cookie test


I grew up in politics. I could rattle off how many electoral votes each state had before I knew all the capitols. I attended so many conventions that I thought that everyone did. I think I have walked in more parades in support for a candidate than I have actually watched. Election day to me was like Christmas. So yeah growing up it was a rather big part of my life. 

As I've gotten older I've become a tad more jaded and tend to stop reading news articles and watching news programs the closer it gets to the final election. 

Though I have cut most news programs I still read my magazines- Self, Family Fun, Parenting, and Family Circle- What? I am a stay at home mom and read magazines that apply to such groups. Oh who am I kidding I would probably read at least Self and Family Circle even if I wasn't a mom and Family Fun is by Disney so I might have been inclined to pick it up on that alone. Okay so I read awesome magazines. 

While I was perusing the August edition of Family Circle I saw that they were having their Presidential cookie bake-off. Now, there are things that are very tempting while on the elliptical, watching yet another TLC wedding show, and reading a magazine and cookies are one of those things. I was in and was even happy that I had all but three ingredients already in my pantry. 

So this past Saturday afternoon I set down to baking. If you want the recipes check out my personal blog for all the yummy goodness. 

Then we did a blind taste test. I was the only one who did not know which cookie belonged to which candidate.  So everyone else was going on taste alone. 







 It was a close race with the kids participating in that favorite political pastime of flip-flopping (they changed their answer once dad reveled his vote). Though we all agreed that both cookies were fabulous we ended up deciding the Romney cookie was slightly superior.

Now after giving away 3 dozen cookies to neighbors we were still sitting on close to 9 dozen cookies the next day so we took them to my parents house for a second blind taste test. The Romney cookie won yet again in a vote of 7-1. Now my brother did express some distress when that vote was cast.  I believe "are you kidding me?" was shouted as everyone voted and something along the lines that there was no way that was a Romney cookie because it was healthier than the Obama cookie.

So there you go. We placed our vote on Family Circle's website and now we will just watch and see who wins the bake-off.



No comments:

Post a Comment