Monday, August 26, 2013

Utah fans Sir, Utah fans are we

Growing up one of the greatest mysteries of my family was how I became a BYU fan. It didn't make sense and it was one of those great mysteries that didn't correct itself until the late nineties when I realized that I wasn't switched at birth, which was the leading theory in that mystery, nor did the fall on my head as an infant permanently damage me.  See it was about that time I became a Utah fan. The day I told my family still stands as one of the top ten moments in my brother's life. 

Fast forward ten plus years and I now have my own little family of Utes. They sport the Utah gear and they cheer for the U and it is good. They are still not quite sure while their mom yells at the tv when the people playing football can't hear her, but that will come.

To expand on our love for the Utes we attended the fan appreciation day with our neighbors. The whole family sported their U gear and we had Matty cheering "Go Utah" before we left the house. 

Fan day was fun. The kids got to sample some red snow cones, courtesy of the ski team...
Stand in many lines to meet players and try different activities.
Had super tall young men stand on tiptoes to help us make a basket
or get some encouragement from the players themselves.

Of course we weren't happy all the time. Matty has been getting his two year old molars and I guess he didn't sleep much the night before. Not even a bounce house could make him happy.


One things my kids could not wrap their heads around was why people pay so much to watch a football game. They also didn't understand why the suite tickets, which "are further away from the field, Mom." cost more than other tickets.
The one sport James has been asking us to play is golf. It was fun to give him a little preview and I loved that the team golfers took time to work with them.
So that's it. We are raising little Utes and so far their is no discord in our home, they seem happy to be Utah fans, even if they aren't sure what that means. 
Go Utes!

No comments:

Post a Comment