Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Epic Denver trip---part one

In February my sister-in-law sent us an email showing very low airfare to Denver, the city where she and my brother live. Though we couldn't make the dates work for flying out there this spring we decided that we would come and visit during the summer. So the day after school let out we packed up the car and headed out. 

This was Matty's go to position while we were driving, nothing like being a kid on a road trip...I miss all those naps. 


On our way to Denver we stopped in Vernal so we could take the boys (and the girls) to Dinosaur Land!!! 


The kids had a ton of fun hiking and throwing rocks into the river.


We also took a small hike. Matty made it part way and then he and I turned around while the other kids and Christian hiked into a box canyon. 


 After we visited the monument we went to the dinosaur museum in Vernal. The kids loved the diorama in the back and we took poses with each dinosaur.

 They were super afraid of the T-Rex.
 We then took a quick visit to the Vernal temple and dodged some sprinklers to snap a picture or two.


We drove to Denver on Sunday braving a blizzard through Vail and a thirty mile traffic jam...have I mentioned that I hate I-70?

On Monday we meet my cousin and her five children at the Denver Children's Museum. I loved this museum. they had dress ups and so many hands on activities. Matty loved being a fire fighter and driving the fire truck.  I loved sitting and visiting with my cousin Liz. It had been many years since I had seen her. 


The girls loved doing some painting, they created some great things. 


The boys had the best time at the building area. it was like prying teeth to get them to move away from there. 


That night we took a visit to the Denver Temple. It was a fun time with Adam and Amy's family. 

 The kids loved being with their cousins. It was a party every minute and I had never heard so much sustained giggling before and it last the six nights we were there.

The one thing the kids loved the most in Denver were all the rabbits around. They kept count and found those rabbits more exciting then gorillas at the zoo or just about anything else. 



The next day we visited the Denver Zoo. So much fun and the displays were awesome. The kids had a great time.

My favorite thing there was the reptile house. Those of you who know me well, or have ever visited the Hogle Zoo with me, know that the smell there gets me every time. I hate it. Most times I can't even go into the reptile house. The Denver zoo solved the stinky problem though. I had no problem spending time in the reptile house or walking around...oh and have I mentioned my kids are hilarious?


We loved the huge elephant display. So many places to visit or see the animals. We got some great shots. and the kids got to watch the elephant play with a block of ice. 

So this was the first half of our fun and exciting trip to the Mile High City...more to come. So hold on tight there was more to see.

2 comments:

  1. Epic for sure! Such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like tons of fun!! Now when are you headed out here?! ;)

    ReplyDelete