Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Garden Boxes

Despite the snow that is falling off and on today spring seems to finally be here. I don't know about you but I feel that the winter has been very long and very hard.  One thing were were really excited about when we bought our new home was the fact that we could finally put in a  garden. There was already a garden plot but it wasn't nearly big enough to our needs (have you seen the monster tomato plants my husband grows?) so Christian and the kids built four extra garden boxes and then cleared an area for them to go. I tried to help with the clearing of the area but we quickly learned that I cannot use a shovel, it is a sad aliment that one day I will over come it, maybe. Then I broke my toe so my husband is limiting me to what I can and cannot do around the house, he is such a good man. 

Anyway the day finally came that we were going to make our own dirt, yes we make our own dirt.  It was the first Saturday that wasn't rainy, and we rented a u-Haul pickup so we could get a truck load of compost. I now can mark buy compost in bulk off my bucket list, how many of you can say that?

In addition to the compost we also bought Peat Moss, vermiculite, and perlite. Both Eve and Matty found the peat moss to be a great place to sit. 

So first thing is first. We started putting down all the ingredients on a tarp.


It looks so pretty once you are done.
Then roll the dirt. Even our neighbors got in on this one because they came and checked out and helped us. 

 I don't have a picture of us dragging the dirt over to the boxes but we did.


 The kids had a great time even though they got very tired and didn't want to do it anymore. They did enjoy the tacos we had after though and we even taught Laine how to mow the lawn and James helped dad with the string trimming.


We also had a big pile of dirt for filling a problem with our foundation. James was a great big brother and played with Matty while his sisters, dad and I worked on making garden dirt.

Now it is time to figure out what to fill our new garden with. Corn? Carrots? You know there will be tomatoes and for some reason my girls want beets. But what do you plant in your gardens?

1 comment:

  1. Wow... I'm impressed!! I vote for zucchini and some fresh herbs. :)

    ReplyDelete