Sunday, July 11, 2010

Zoo Trip

Growing up I remember going to the zoo most Saturdays. We had a family pass and we would go in the morning. Dad would rent a wagon or borrow one from Aunt Val and then he would take us on wagon ride through all the wonders. He would also get in the front of the wagon and "drive" us down the hills why my mom looked on in terror. The zoo was a fun and happy place that I loved going. But as I grew up we visited less and less. I had not been to the zoo in over 11 years. In fact, the last time I went I was chaperoning my little brother's fifth grade class. There was just no reason for me to visit.

But now I have kids and kids mean you get to go to the zoo. So this last week Grammy (my mom), Aunt Amy, Boston, my kids and me made the journey up to the zoo.

Wow it has changed. I am forever grateful that the big cats are out of their concrete cages and are now able to lounge in size and habitat appropriate enclosures. I am grateful that the rhinos and the elephants now can live in happy elephant land. But what has happened to everything else? The hippos are gone, the bears have been moved until they make them a new place to live. There are no zebras or lions. All the things that made the zoo fantastic just seemed to have disappeared. Even the stuffed Shasta the Liger is gone. What will kids fascinate about now that they can't read about the amazing liger?

All this aside, my kids loved it. They didn't know what was missing and what there used to be. They got to see a baby elephant and got to pet an oversized beetle. There were train rides and carousel rides. Really, they just had a blast. So I guess that means I will be heading back sooner rather than later.




Playing in play land. Laine decided that she wanted to hatch.
both girls decided they were happy to be larger than and female orangutan
The kids, loved these bronze statues around the zoo. Every time we saw one they had to have a picture sitting on it.

See look, another one.
waiting for the elephant show to meet the 800 lb. one year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment