Monday, August 13, 2012

Training domestic princesses

I remember one fall while I was growing up hanging out at my Aunt Rita's home while she and my mom tied a Christmas quilt for my dad. It was a large red and white checked quilt with a hand stitched University of Utah logo in the middle. I was so entranced with the quilt. I loved watching my mom and aunt make the stitches they needed. I loved sitting under the quilt and I wished that I could join them.  

Many years later I learned to tie quilts while in young women and then later I went on to tie countless quilts while in college and for many years after. 

I love making quilts and having hand-tied quilts on hand. The quilt that my college girlfriends made me after my engagement is still on my bed. We have quilts made of t-shirts, quilts that were gifts, quilts made of old jeans, and quilts that were pieced together. 

I have made a few quilts since I got married but every time I put them out the girls were entranced. I remembered that feeling and decided that this summer I would teach my girls to tie a quilt.  I took them each to pick out their own fabrics and then we got out the quilting frames. 

Eve was up first  she picked a delightful cup cake pattern.   




 The girls were quick studies and a great quilters. They understood very quickly how to tie the quilt and they did a fantastic job.

Matty especially loved the quilt when we started to take it off the frames.


Eve with her quilt.
 Laine went a bit brighter and more Lainey with her fabric. It was tie-dye all the way and though I wasn't sure they matched turns out she has a pretty good eye for fabrics. This quilt was one of my favorites when it was finished.

James enjoyed laying under the quilt and making it his own personal fort.

And the girls thought it was nice to snuggle in even before I had a chance to finish it.


The girls left on a trip so as a surprise when they get home they will have a surprise waiting for them. I finished their quilts last week.

They are so proud of their work and I am proud of them.

2 comments:

  1. Love the tie dye, especially! How nice of you spend your time as a near-kidless mom finishing stuff for your absent kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! One more reason I need a girl - so I can teach them how to sew. I have fond memories of my step-mom teaching me how to sew over the summers I spent with them. Way to go, Nat!

    ReplyDelete