Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentines- Bradley style

Growing up my mom always went all out for Valentines day. There was heart shaped french toast in the morning, heart shaped peanut butter and jelly for lunch, heart shaped meatloaf for dinner, and of course a heart shaped cake for dessert. This was also on top of the awesome boxes she helped us make and the wonderful valentine treats we would find on the front porch every year.

So I am not my mom and not nearly as creative or talented as she is. I also hate French Toast so there was no way I was making that for my kids. I did however want my kids to have great memories of valentines day. So we got to work.
Saturday afternoon we sat down with the girls to make their boxes. I have no art talent. I might have existed once, I remember winning a few ribbons in art while in Kindergarten, but that talent was replaced with awesome baking skills instead. So the kids were on their own for the boxes. Good thing that they are both awesome artists.

Christian and I covered the boxes with paper and cut the holes then the girls went for it.

Eve decided that she wanted a Harry Potter themed box...

This is only one side. The other sides featured- Hagrid, Dumbledore, and another Harry!

Laine decided that she was going to go with a Star Wars theme-

She had planets and Luke on the other sides. It also had a Star Wars poster that my mom had found for her.

Then it came time to making the special Valentine's food. I was able to make the heart PB&J without a problem. But what to do for breakfast. My inspiration came at eleven the night before...

Pink Scrambled eggs with heart shaped toast. It was a hit! Christian got the eggs but with heart shaped sausage.

Dinner I slacked off on as the kids just wanted their traditional babysitting meal- Mac & Cheese.

So yeah Valentines ended up being a great day for the kids. They loved the cookies that arrived on our front porch thanks to an awesome neighbor and they came home on sugar high that lasted well into this morning.

So yeah that was that. The rest of my day was filled with laundry...
and a nap, and scrubbing a kitchen floor, and vacuuming, and dusting...


and then finally an awesome date with my husband. I may not have been able to recreate the awesome valentines day that we had as kids, but I think our kids had just as much fun!

2 comments: