Saturday, May 7, 2011

Walkers for Knockers

Time for my favorite race of the year, the one where there is more pink than a pepto bismal bottle--Komen's Race for the Cure.

For those of you who don't know this is a race that is near and dear to my heart. My grandmother is a breast cancer survivor, I have had friends, colleagues, and neighbors who have had breast cancer. A few years ago I decided to do what I could to put an end to this horrible disease. Since then I have participated (twice) in a 3-day 60 mile walk, participated in the Race for the Cure for five years now, and buy anything pink (if you don't believe me I can show you pictures of my pink broom, pink measuring cups, pink measuring spoons, pink water bottles, pink everything really--I own too much of it yet if it says that part of the proceeds go to breast cancer I am a sucker. I've got the bumper stickers on my car and the pink ribbon hanging in the front window.)

I have dragged my family into all this as well, at first it was the Bellamys and then when I became a Bradley my new little family followed me and we added to the Tutus for Tatas team. Laine has seemed particularly gung-ho about it all. She loves talking about the race to who ever she meets as the race time grows near it is fun to hear her talk about it.

So today we all got up early, got all decked out in our t-shirts and other pink gear, and headed out. We waded in the sea of pink and fun t-shirts waiting for the rest of the family and the race to begin. Many people stopped to snap our pictures, I guess it is an oddity to see nine people, including grown men wearing tutus with smiles on their faces. Christian and the girls were troopers and did the whole 5K. For the first time in...well ever, I took the shorter route and James and I did the one miler. James actually made it half a mile before he was too tired to go any further. He ended up riding on my dad's shoulders the rest of the way and then took delight in yogurt at the end. We had a lot of fun and the sun was shining and it was just a fun day all around.

The kids with their new sun glasses waiting for the race to start.
James too tired to walk anymore, also too tired to hold himself up on Poppa's shoulders.

Ezzie completes his first 5K- tutu and all.

Some nice lady stopped and snapped this one for us, James was too tired and hungry at this point to smile for the camera.

The whole Tutus for Tatas team, see James is happy now as he got a chocolate yogurt.

He also got a foam hat which he spent the day in a love/hate relationship with.
Then baby Voldemort decided to move and every one had to get in on the action.
Boston thought it would be fun to swing from a tree while we were waiting to go.
Birdie thought the same thing and had to have her turn as well.

After we all had a delightful BBQ at the parents, our traditional post race meal. All in all it was a great Saturday morning where we walked together for an awesome cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment